Household Hazardous Waste Day Is September 22
Westport’s Annual Household Hazardous Waste Day is a NO CHARGE regional program for residents of Westport, Weston, Greenwich, Darien, Stamford, Norwalk, New Canaan & Wilton, designed to provide a safe option to keep Household Hazardous Waste out of the municipal solid waste stream and protect our land and water from potential contamination.Many of the items used around the house on a daily basis are considered to be household hazardous waste because they may contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients. Products such as cleaners, gasoline and pesticides can pollute the environment and jeopardize public health when they are disposed of improperly and enter our groundwater or the solid waste stream.
- Before bringing hazardous household items to the collection site:
- Make sure they are clearly labeled and NEVER MIX CHEMICALS. Incompatible products may react, ignite or explode, and mixed waste may not be recyclable.
- Keep products in original labeled container, securely closed.
- Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags.
- Tighten lids of all containers and pack items in sturdy cardboard boxes lined with newspaper.
- Put boxes in the trunk or in the back of the vehicle away from passengers.
- Leave pets and children at home when bringing hazardous materials for collection.
- Keep your windows open and drive directly to the collection site.
- Do not smoke or eat while handling hazardous materials.
Garden shed: weed killers, fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, pesticides, etc.
Garage: aerosol spray cans, auto & marine paints, mineral spirits, paint strippers, paint thinners, solvents, turpentine, wood preservatives, fiberglass resins, rubber cement, engine degreasers, brake & transmission fluids, carburetor cleaner, car wax, gasoline, kerosene, roof patch & repair, driveway sealer, creosote, swimming pool chemicals, charcoal lighter.
General household: bleach, cleaning chemicals, toilet & drain cleaners, flammable liquids, floor & furniture polish, mercury thermometers, mothballs, pet flea shampoos, rug shampoos, spot removers, photo chemicals, art & hobby supplies, artists paints, etc.
The following items are NOT acceptable: ammunition, flares, commercial hazardous waste, or propane tanks.
If you have any questions, contact the Westport Public Works Department at 203-341-1793.