Evidence of COVID-19 Community Spread in Westport
Public Schools, Town Hall and Town Offices will be Closed
First Selectman Jim Marpe held a news conference today outside Town Hall to announce that there has been evidence of COVID-19 community spread in Westport. The link to the conference is: https://www.facebook.com/westportct.gov/videos/2538487076467617/
Mr. Marpe stated that there may be residents who develop flu-like symptoms, others will have no symptoms at all. If you feel very sick, seek medical attention.
Westport Public Schools are closed until further notice. To eliminate the possibility of additional transmission, the Town Hall and the Westport Parks & Recreation Department will be closed to the public tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday. As was reported earlier, the Westport Center for Senior Activities is closed until further notice. The Library will be closed as well.
We will use that time to meet with staff and discuss how to reduce health risks. We will be canceling municipal public events, including municipal public meetings for the foreseeable future.
In an abundance of caution, all facility usage permits provided by the Westport Parks and Recreation Department have been suspended. To minimize the possibility of spread through our public facilities, restrooms at the Compo Beach Marina and the Longshore Pavilion will be closed until further notice.
For information on other community organizations, please go directly to those organizations’ websites.
As further details become available, we will make every effort to announce them to the public.
A reminder - follow these best practices to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Cough or sneeze into your sleeve, not your hand.
- Wash your hands frequently. While hand sanitizer may be effective, vigorous handwashing using regular soap is best.
- Stay home if you are feeling unwell.
- The Westport emergency notification system is a text message-based alert system run by the Fire Department.Any resident not already signed up for these notifications can text 06880 to 888777 to subscribe.
- The Town webpage dedicated to COVID-19 can be found at Westportct.gov/COVID19.
- The hashtag #WestportctCOVID-19info will be used for updated information on the Town’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter social media accounts.This will also be utilized by the Fire, Police and Parks Departments.
- To follow the Town’s press release coverage, please go to WestportCT.Gov/subscribe and select “town news.”
# # #