EMAIL: MFREY@WESTPORTCT.GOV if questions
The July 2019 tax bill will reflect the period of October 1, 2018, through September 30, 2019. If you are now living in another town in Connecticut but your vehicle was in Westport October 1, 2018, the bill will be due and payable to Westport.
IF YOUR LICENSE PLATES WERE TRANSFERRED (OLD TO NEW VEHICLE), PAY BILL IN FULL ON OLD VEHICLE AND NEW VEHICLE WILL BE CREDITED AUTOMATICALLY ON THE SUPPLEMENTAL BILL.
TO REMOVE/PRORATE YOUR ASSESSMENT ON THE JULY 2019 TAX BILL (OR PRIOR), THE FOLLOWING TWO (2) FORMS OF DOCUMENTATION ARE REQUIRED:
1) REGISTRATION PLATE CANCELLATION FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLE IS MANDATORY. YOU MAY ALSO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION ONLINE AT CT.GOV/DMV AND PRINT RECEIPT WHEN COMPLETED.
2) ANY OF THE DOCUMENTATION LISTED BELOW PERTAINING TO YOUR CIRCUMSTANCE:
- LEASE TERMINATION AGREEMENT/ODOMETER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT
A copy of the lease termination which should include Year, Make, Model, VIN, and Odometer reading for the vehicle or odometer disclosure statement with the same information as lease termination and signed by both the Lessor and Lessee.
- A COPY OF THE TRANSFER OF TITLE
A copy of both sides of the signed title showing the date when the transfer took place.
- OUT OF STATE REGISTRATION OR REGISTRATION SHOWING A NEW NAME
A copy of the original out-of-state registration showing the date the vehicle was first re-registered.
If you sold the car to someone you know please obtain a copy of the registration showing the new owner.
- STOLEN VEHICLE/TOTAL LOSS
A letter from your insurance company indicating that the vehicle was stolen and not recovered and/or a total loss from an accident. This information should also include vehicle identification number and date of theft and/or loss. The owner must file for a lost or stolen plate receipt at the DMV.
- CANCELLATION OF INSURANCE POLICY FOR VEHICLE SOLD
A letter from your insurance company on their letterhead referencing the year, make, model & VIN along with the reason for cancellation.
- DONATED/JUNKED VEHICLE
A letter/receipt from the charity/junkyard with the year, make, model, & VIN and the date it was donated/junked.
- TRADE-IN VEHICLE
A copy of the purchase agreement from the dealership identifying the trade-in vehicle and the date of the trade-in.
- SHIPPED OUT OF THE COUNTRY/ BILL OF LADING
A copy of the shipping papers with the
PLEASE NOTE: All information should be dated and have the year, make, model and vehicle identification number (VIN) on it. If this information is faxed or mailed please confirm receipt by calling 203-341-1070.