COVID-19 UPDATE - 6/4/20
Westport’s Building Dept. (located @ 515 Post Road East) is closed for walk-in business until further notice. Business by phone, mail or email will continue during regular office hours Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm. Building permit applications will be reviewed via scheduled online Zoom meetings or by phone before being dropped off or mailed to ensure that all the information and the permit fees are correct. For more information or to schedule a Zoom meeting, call our office at 203-341-5025. Please have the plans and all required documentation downloaded to your computer so the inspector can view and verify the submission online.
Sub-Permits can be emailed to:
515 Post Road East, 2nd Floor,
Westport CT 06880
E-mail: See Contact Us
Residents and contractors can call or email our office during regular business hours at 203-341-5025 to address any questions or concerns. Title Searchers can call or email our office (email address above) for assistance in municipal searches. Our drop off and pick-up boxes are located on the west side of the building (the large parking lot side) by our entrance. These boxes are weatherproof and can accommodate drawings and are accessible 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. Paper copies of Building Department forms, applications, and useful information packets are located in weatherproof bins adjacent to the pick-up boxes. Any applicant not familiar with Zoom and can call our office to make special arrangements for plan reviews.
MESSAGE FROM STEVE SMITH
During these times we can’t allow walk-ins, however, we are here to accommodate and move commercial and residential projects along as quickly as possible. Please feel free to call Michele Onofrio or Sandy Wright @ 203-341-5025 and either one can expedite or troubleshoot any problem you may have. Stay safe and enjoy the summer.
The Building Department is responsible for the following tasks:
- Reviews construction plans for compliance with the Connecticut State Building Code for all residential, commercial and municipal projects and issues necessary permits
- Determines when licensed design professionals are required
- Reviews architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, alarm, sprinkler plans, and ADA handicapped accessibility
- Determines what construction inspections and procedures are required
- Monitors the project while under construction
- Collects all final signoffs from the other agencies
- Performs a final inspection
- Issues a Certificate of Occupancy
The Building Department is located at 515 Post Road East, on the second floor of the Central Fire Station. Hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Records are available to searchers for review between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- When do I need a permit?
- Steps to obtain a building permit [PDF]
- Steps to obtain a PV
- Building Department permit applications and forms
- Code Work Sheet
- How to view open and closed building permits online
- State Building Code
- State Fire Safety Code
- Building permit fee schedule
- Required inspections
Download other useful information
- RTM Ordinance; Guidelines for Demolition, August 2008 [PDF]
- Guidelines for Residential Swimming Pool Enclosures 10/1/2018 [PDF]
- Home Improvement Without Headaches – a fact sheet from the Department Of Consumer Protection [PDF]
- Build Back Safer [FEMA, PDF]
- FEMA Region 1: Changes in Flood Insurance Program, Dec. 2012 [PDF]
- State of Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
- Office of State Building Inspector
- International Code Council (Building Codes)