Required Conservation Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A permit is required for any work on your property if it has one or more of the following resources:

  • Wetlands
  • Watercourses
  • A stream protected the Waterway Protection Line Ordinance (WPLO)
  • Aquifer zones

Generally permits fall into two categories of review:

  • Permits that can be issued following Administrative Approval (AA) after review by staff
  • Permits that require Conservation Commission approval

For an Administrative Approval Permit

To qualify for an AA permit you project must:

In order to accurately delineate wetland and watercourse boundaries at a scale suitable for site planning and development review, they need to be flagged by a professional soil scientist, and plotted onto a site plan or subdivision map by a surveyor. This process will ensure that the wetlands and watercourses are accurately delineated on a property scheduled for development and are therefore protected when land use changes are proposed.

The policy requires that anyone wishing to carry out a large project such as a new house, large addition, pool, pool house, tennis court, detached garage, new septic system, large grading and drainage projects, and possibly driveway expansion or relocation, can expect that this new policy will apply to them. This will be regardless of whether the current 1983 town map shows the presence of wetlands, or not.

Conversely, however, small projects may be exempt from the new policy if, after inspection by staff and or review of available data, it is determined that the project will have no more than a minimal impact on any wetland.

Moreover, staff may waive this requirement for any of the following reasons:

a. A map amendment was already completed and approved.
b. The applicant provides a report and a map from a soil scientist as to the location of the wetlands and/or watercourses or that none exist on the property.
c. Any other resources available or presented to support that there are no wetlands and/or watercourses on the property.
d. A field review by the Conservation Department staff has determined the unlikelihood of wetlands and/or watercourses.

You will need the following forms to complete your AA application:

These forms are available above and in our office.

For a Conservation Commission Review Permit

If your project does not qualify for an AA permit you must apply to the Conservation Commission and the Flood and Erosion Control Board. The review by these boards will be held as a public hearing at a regularly scheduled meeting.

You will need the following forms to complete your application for Conservation Commission review:

These forms are available above and in our office.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer