If you are issued a permit to burn brush/garden cleanings (no leaves) on your property, the permit is valid for the day of issue only. If you are unable to burn that day you must re-apply for another permit.
Prior to burning, you are required to:
- Notify the Westport Fire Department on the day of burning at 341-5010 when you begin and end your burning operation
- Have a charged garden hose available
- Have direct and immediate access to a telephone (cellphone)
- Pull back any/all combustible ground cover to prevent fire spread, and wet down the surrounding area
- Burn small pile(s), freed from large brush pile if necessary.
- Burn only between 10 a.m and 5 p.m
- Fully extinguish the fire and bank all embers at the burn conclusion – no smoldering ashes are permitted
- Have the burning permit available at the site during the burn
- Check the weather- burning shall occur only on sunny or partly sunny days with wind speeds under 15 mph
- Check DEP Fire warning status at their web site
- Burning may not take place within 100 feet of woodlands or grasslands when the forest fire danger is rated high, very high, or extreme.