IMPORTANT PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT UPDATE
Due to the inherent uncertainty of our current situation due to the COVID-19 public health emergency and out of an abundance of caution in an effort to keep Westport residents as safe as possible through physical distancing and other means, please note the following setps taken by the Parks and Recreation Department:
- The Parks and Recreation office located within Longshore Club Park remains closed to the public with department functions taking place online or via phone.
- Beach emblem sales have been postponed until further notice.
- All program registration has been postponed until further notice.
- The Longshore Golf Course remains closed to golfers, for play or practice, but people are permitted to walk the course, as long as proper physical distancing is used, with the exception of walking on the greens. As always, dogs are not allowed on the golf course.
- All playgrounds are closed.
- Basketball courts, tennis courts, platform tennis courts, and pickleball courts are closed.
- All athletic fields are closed.
- The parking lots at Compo Beach and Burying Hill Beach are closed.
- The parking lot at Old Mill is restricted to Old Mill and Compo Mill Cove residents only.
- Animals are restricted from Westport Town Beaches as of April 1.
- Restrictions regarding dogs at Winslow Park and all Town Parks:
- No off leash areas. All dogs must be on a leash.
- Pets must be kept close of the handler.
- The 6ft physical distancing protocol is to be followed for people and pets.
* As a reminder, it is imperative that everyone stay home. In the name of public safety, if you must go out, you must practice social distancing at all times and not gather in groups. You are placing yourselves and others at risk when you engage in behavior that is against the directives of health officials. Our public safety officials need to be focused on many more vital issues than enforcing personal responsibility and trying to deter congregating during this crisis. DO NOT congregate in any town parks or outdoor facilities, including school properties
For updates, check the Town website at westportct.gov/covid19 or #Westportctcovid19info
Additional Places to Walk
At this point in time, the Aspetuck Land Trust's 44 trailed preserves in Westport, Easton, Weston and Fairfield are open. However, due to the recent increase in usage, particularly Trout Brook Valley, the non-profit reminds visitors, for now, to please leave dogs at home. Unfortunately, they create too many opportunities for close human contact. Dogs will be welcomed back with their walkers at some future date. In the meantime, the Aspetuck Land Trust will closely monitor all areas, to make sure there is proper social distancing.
Aspetuck Land Trust's COVID-19 Policy: http://www.aspetucklandtrust.org/covid-19-guidance
Aspetuck Land Trust's Preserve Page: http://www.aspetucklandtrust.org/find-preserves-by-town
Interactive Preserve Map to search preserves by town: http://www.aspetucklandtrust.org/interactive-map
Spring and summer program offerings are here!
We are so excited for spring and summer and the many program offerings we have available for you. There is something for everyone!
New this spring is Skyhawks Hoopster Tots for children ages 3 - 5 as an introduction to basketball at Compo Beach on Saturday mornings as well as our US Sports Squirts programs such as soccer, t-ball, and multi-sports! For those interested in non-traditional sports, we are teaming up with Overtime Athletics and offering Whiffle Ball and a new High Five's Running Club after school which is sure to be lots of fun!
Don't forget our summer favorite day camps, Tot'n Play, Camp Compo and RECing Crew. For our adults, we have Pickleball, road runners race series, basketball and volleyball leagues, and many new additions to our tennis clinics offerings. Be sure to browse our many programs and don't miss out on a summer of fun!
Whatever you do, don't forget to get out and play!
Spring and summer program registration will take place at a later date to be determined. Check back for updates.
For more information regarding the Compo Beach Site Improvement and Master Plan, please visit the Parks and Recreation Office at Longshore.
Field and Program Cancellations: (203) 341-5074
Westport Parks and Recreation is on Facebook!
Want to keep up with the latest Parks and Recreation happenings?