Fallen Officers Memorial

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Westport Police Officers Who Have Died in the Line of Duty

Constable George Walter Mills 

Born February 5, 1859 - Died November 26, 1924

No Photo AvailableConstable Mills was on a traffic post at the intersection of Post Road West and Riverside Avenue (then known as Darrow’s Corner). On November 22, 1924 at 6:10 p.m. he was struck by a car and suffered head and leg injuries. Constable Mills died four days later as a result of his injuries, the primary cause of death being edema of the brain caused by a traumatic brain injury.

The accident is documented in the police blotter of the Westport Police Department dated November 22, 1924. A newspaper account of the accident and death of Constable Mills noted that “…in spite of his years he was a most efficient officer. Faithfulness was his motto in this as well as everything he undertook.”

The driver of the vehicle was arrested at the time of the accident for reckless driving. Constable Mills’s name is inscribed on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC.

Constable William Francis Frawley

Born November 24, 1900 - Died May 21, 1936

William FrawleyConstable Frawley was employed as a police officer for six years prior to his death from injuries received while assisting in the arrest of an individual on April 11, 1936. Special Constable Frawley was working on the evening of April 11, 1936 and according to the department’s police blotter assisted Sergeant Baker at the West Side Tavern at approximately 9 p.m. While struggling to place an arrested subject into a police car he suffered a ruptured blood vessel in his stomach. The injury was originally misdiagnosed as a recurrence of a prior ulcer condition rather than the internal bleeding from the injury. Despite surgery Constable Frawley died from his injuries after one month in the hospital. Constable Frawley’s name is inscribed on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC.

Auxiliary Police Officer Aldo J. Santini 

Born December 16, 1916 - Died August 1, 1964

Aldo SantiniAuxiliary Officer Santini was assigned to the Westport Police Department’s marine division on July 26, 1964. At approximately 5 p.m. while he was assisting Officer Kellogg's attempt to pull a grounded vessel free, the tow rope and cleat broke free from the grounded boat and struck him in the head. Officer Santini was knocked into the water, unconscious. He was pulled from the water suffering from a fractured skull. He died from his injuries five days later, never regaining consciousness. Officer Santini’s name is inscribed on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, DC.