6/4/20 - Effective 6/15/20, the Westport Police Department will resume accepting appointments for NEW temporary pistol permit applications. Once you have completed the application and have all the necessary requirements, please email Detective Restieri, firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule an appointment. Applications and requirements can be found below.
6/4/20 - Effective 6/15/20, all person that have previously been issued a temporary pistol permit from the Westport Police Department must make an appointment with the State of CT to be issued a permanent pistol permit. Please click here to schedule an appointment.
The Westport Police Department currently issues temporary State Pistol Permits as well as local licenses for pawnbrokers, precious metals dealers and secondhand dealers under CGS Chapters 409/414.
Pistol permit applications may be picked up at the Westport Police Department or downloaded from our website. You must first obtain a local pistol permit before you can apply for a state permit. In addition to completing all forms, you are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.
DOWNLOAD A FILLABLE PISTOL PERMIT APPLICATION.
Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver.
Bring your completed application to the Westport Police Department along with TWO bank checks or money orders made out to the Town of Westport.
- Town of Westport - $70.00 (money order or bank check only)
- Town of Westport - $88.25 (money order or bank check only)
- Fingerprinting - $10.00 (Cash Only)
At the time of your appointment, please bring with you your completed notarized application, two payments, identification requirements and proof of Town of Westport residency. At that time you will be fingerprinted with the departments Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS). Bring a photocopy of your birth certificate or passport as well as your certificate from the approved firearms safety course you completed. As of 3/1/19, there will be an additional $10.00 charge (cash only) for fingerprints, which can be paid at the records window at the time of your appointment.
The application review process can take up to eight weeks to complete and sometimes longer depending on the time needed for responses from both the FBI and CT State Police. Questions regarding the pistol permit application process can be directed to Detective Philip Restieri at (203) 341-6025.
Long Gun Eligibility Certificates and Ammunition Certificates
The Westport Police Department does not accept applications for these certificates or issue them. They are obtained through the CT Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection. For more information and available online forms click here.
Public Act 13-3
You can download a FAQ from the CT Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection regarding changes that became (or will become effective) due to Public Act 13-3 here.
Precious Metals Dealer Licensing
- Pawnbroker (Sec. 21-40 CGS) – Initial application $50.00 / annual renewal $25.00 (shall also file at the police department, a bond with competent surety, in the penal sum of $2,000). The payment of renewal fee and surety bond may be waived if the person holds a license as a secondhand dealer.
- Precious Metals, Gemstones and Coins Dealer (sec. 21-100 CGS) - $10.00 annually
- Secondhand Dealer (PA11-100, sec. 10) – Initial application $250.00 / annual renewal $100.00 (shall also file at the police department, a bond with competent surety, in the penal sum of $10,000.00)
All fees are payable by business check, certified bank draft, money order, or U.S. Postal money order.
A license issued for one category does not allow a person to engage in activity applicable to another category. A separate license must be obtained for each category.
Any person and/or firm who has made prior application to and has satisfactorily met the statutory requirements to engage in or transact business in this State pursuant to Sec. 12-409 CGS and who desires to conduct business as a licensed pawnbroker, precious metals/gemstones and coins dealer and/or a secondhand dealer within the Town of Westport as defined by Public Act 11- 100 of the General Statutes shall meet the following requirements as established by the Chief of Police (hereinafter identified as the “Issuing Authority”):
- Complete the appropriate application for the specific license desired and return the form with the statutory fee (listed above and on the application) to the Westport Police Department, 50 Jesup Road, Westport, CT 06880. License applications can be obtained from the Records Division during regular business hours or by clicking here.
- ALL new applicants shall have their fingerprints taken at the Westport Police Department. All fingerprinting fees are non-refundable and are subject to change – it is recommended that applicants call to verify the dollar amount.
- Applicants for any of those licenses are to bring one check payable to Town of Westport in the amount of $87.00, this covers both the state and federal records check fees. We fingerprint and submit them electronically.
- Per statute, the “Issuing Authority” shall not grant a license to any applicant upon documentation or
findingthat the person is a convicted felon. ALLapplicants shall submit photocopies of the following documents at the time of application:
- Current drivers license
- Birth certificate, OR
- Social Security card
- Connect Sales and Tax Permit – issued by the Commissioner of Revenue Services, 25 Sigourney Street, Hartford, telephone (860) 297-5962 or (800) 382-9463
- Proof of bond from competent surety if required
- Incomplete applications or those submitted without the proper supporting documentation shall be returned to the applicant.
- Each person engaging or transacting in such business must be licensed.
Precious Metals Dealer Forms
- Procedure for New Applications
- Precious Metals Dealer Application/Renewal Form
- Precious Metals Dealer Requirements
Public Act 17-231, An Act Concerning Municipalities and Bingo Games, Bazaars and Raffles, went into effect on January 1, 2018. As of January 1, 2018, each municipality will be responsible for the permitting and enforcement of all bingo games, bazaars and raffles taking place in their town. Following are the required forms to hold a Bingo, Bazaar or Raffle:
- Please call (203) 341-6008 for the appropriate forms.
- Bazaar Permit Application - Fillable
- Bazaar Permit Application Sample with Instructions
- Verified Bazaar Statement - Fillable
- Raffle Permit Application - Fillable
- Raffle Permit Application Sample with Instructions
- Verified Raffle Statement - Fillable