WESTPORT/WESTON PROBATE JUDGE, Elected November, 2013; Re-elected November, 2014
Decided hundreds of matters, including review of probate forms, estate tax returns, and resolution of disputes regarding estate assets. Contested matters include conservatorships, involuntary commitments, proceedings to compel medication over objection, visitation, custody and programming issues involving intellectually disabled persons, termination of parental rights, spousal support, right of elective share, will interpretations and accountings.
- Probate Court Newsletter
- Weekly, free, evening legal seminars taught by the Judge, accompanied by written materials summarizing the law
- Availability of Probate Court hearings on CD for nominal fee
- Appointment of non-attorneys as conservators, such as psychiatric social workers
No Conflict of Interest:
Closed private law practice, except for pending matters with existing clients that are non-adversarial.
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, J.D. 1984
Honors: American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
THE JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY, B.A. 1981
Honors: Political Science, Dean’s List All Semesters
1987 to Present
Irvington, New York
General law practice, with a principal concentration in wills, probate, trusts and estates, real estate and general corporate work. Appeared in Stamford, Bridgeport and Danbury Superior courts on litigated matters. Draft wills and trusts, represent clients in probate matters and litigation throughout Connecticut and New York. Handled matters alleging undue influence and fraud. Represent both small and multi-million dollar estates.
MILBANK, TWEED, HADLEY AND McCLOY
New York, New York
Rotated through real estate, corporate and institutional leasing departments. Commercial leases, residential closings, complex corporate transactions. Pro Bono work in wills and trusts for the indigent.
NEW YORK STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL
REAL ESTATE FINANCE BUREAU
New York, New York
Reviewed offering plans for real estate syndications, newly constructed cooperatives and condominiums.
LICENSES: Attorney, Admitted to CT and NY Bars.
- Elected to Westport Zoning Board of Appeals, 1999-2003
- Appointed to Westport Planning and Zoning Commission, 1997-1999
- Current Board Member, Jeffrey Modell Foundation for Primary Immunodeficiency Disease
- Successfully persuaded members of CT legislature to fund newborn screening for SKID disease
- Current Advisory Board Member, Jane Doe No More, devoted to erasing the stigma of sexual assault
- Lifetime member of Hadassah, Westport chapter
- Alliance for Women In Media, Judge of prestigious Gracie Awards, for 2011, 2012, 2013
- Former Trustee of Congregation Rodeph Sholom, Bridgeport, CT
- Board Director and Fundraising Chair for former JCC of Norwalk, Westport, Weston and Wilton
- Long-term member of Westport League of Women Voters
- Save the Children sponsor since 1986
- Five mission trips in a span of 10 years to Hogar Buen Samaritano, an orphanage in the Dominican Republic. Volunteered time, money, materials.
- Taught yearly program in Westport schools to increase student awareness of importance of voting
- Regularly speaks for various charities throughout the area to help them fundraise. Engaged as featured speaker for the March of Dimes luncheon in Darien in October, 2013.
- Committee to Select Honorees for Connecticut Women’s Hall of Fame, 2012
- Community Media Partner Award, Connecticut Assn of Foster and Adoptive Parents (CAFAP)
- Member, Westport Women's Club
- Member, Weston Kiwanis
RADIO: Creator, Host and Executive Producer of “The Lisa Wexler” Radio Show, a talk radio show broadcasting weekdays daily from 4- 6PM EST on AM 1490 WGCH . Show formerly broadcast on Coxradio’s AM 1400/WSTC; 1350/WNLK from September, 2006 until November, 2011 and WFAS (Cumulus). Also broadcast on AM WYBC (Yale Radio) in 2008. Slogan: “Turn Your Brain On”. Winner of numerous broadcasting awards, including the Gracie Award for Best News/Talk Show, 2010 for interview with Gloria Steinem.
AUTHOR, COLUMNIST: Co-Wrote Award-Winning “Secrets of a Jewish Mother” with mother Gloria Kamen and sister Jill Zarin (Penguin/Dutton 2010). Paperback, 2011. Book has been translated into Japanese, Chinese and Russian. Op-eds for Hartford Courant, Hearst Newspapers in CT ( Conn Post, etc.) Was featured monthly columnist for “Fairfield County Woman”. Blog for Huff Post, also wrote for Larry King Live, wowowow.com and others.
CO-FOUNDER, WOMEN IN POWER, CT: Informational events for women, with titles such as “The Book Is Your Hook”, “Brand Me”, “The Art of the Sale”, and others at the Westport Women’s Club.
- Married to William A. Wexler since 1982
- Mother of two children, Jonathan and Joanna, both of whom attended Westport public schools.
- Westport resident since 1989
- Proficient in Spanish